2013 was a challenging and eventful year for us. The year was filled with a mix of emotions–anticipation, joy, frustration, and excitement. It wasn’t the year we had planned, but it was full and that’s how we like it.
The most memorable events were:
- Completing our book Pacific Crest Trail: A Journey in Photographs. Before the book was finished, a friend told us that publishing a book was like giving birth to a baby. We were skeptical when we first heard this comparison, but there is truth in it. Our publishing experience was emotional, painful, and hugely time-intensive. It feels like a part of us is embedded in the book. Once it was printed, we were simultaneously proud and nervous to send our creation into the world. And of course, the work isn’t done. We must constantly support the book and find new people to love it as much as we do.
- Hiking 200 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Each day introduced us to new sights, people, sounds, and smells. We love the simplicity of living in nature. Our hike was cut short by a terrible case of shingles, but that did not diminish the unique experiences we had on the AT.
- Moving to Fort Collins, Colorado, near the Rocky Mountains. Chris started a new programming job at codegeek.net. He has enjoyed helping design websites and is increasing his technical knowledge every day. As she recovers from shingles, Anna has been very gradually regaining energy and adding more activities to her plate. This illness has required huge amounts of patience. Our favorite part about living in Fort Collins is the plethora of natural areas nearby. There is so much to explore!
- Getting engaged in Glacier National Park. We’re a great team and complement each other’s personalities and skills well. We’ve been deeply committed to each other for years, so getting engaged didn’t seem like a big deal to us. Yet this public announcement of our love and commitment was met with such a wonderful outpouring of support and excitement from friends and family. We were touched.
- Writing articles for the PCTA Communicator and NOLS Leader magazines. It was a real pleasure to contribute to these publications.
There’s no doubt in our minds that 2014 will hold new adventures, hard work, and beauty. We just wonder how the story will unfold. Thanks for reading and for all of your good thoughts and comments. We wish you a New Year full of adventure!